Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Sails, Soul, Direction - Yes, Please.


I love quotes.  I love quotes and words that make me think.  

I'm on a Teddy Roosevelt kick right now - and I was struck on how a few of his quotes are aligning with my current life path.

...

On self-knowledge: "Unless a man is master of his soul, all other kinds of mastery amount to little."

Being single - in my 40s - working for a company and people that I am passionate about - no one left to raise but my own standards and self... there has been a lot of soul searching and self-evaluation about my life's intent and direction.  Meredith used to call me a "temp" - meaning I was never settled. There was always another direction, another place to improve, another opportunity.  I'm planning on taking the next few years to focus on bettering this person - this Simone.  Mastering and developing my better self/soul... game on.

On inaction: "To sit home, read one's favorite paper, and scoff at the misdeeds of the men who do things is easy, but it is markedly ineffective. It is what evil men count upon the good men's doing."

Recently my heart was grasped, wrangled and then a strong attempt at crushing it was attempted.  Silly me.  But it was the red flags, it was the lies, it was the inability to sit and be silent when poked by a stick...  Do not ever lay down and cower when faced with a bully - be the unsilenced voice.  Be the banner of right when right has been lost in smoke and mirrors.  Push past the fear of rocking the boat and be the sails.  Be the anchor in rough seas and the sails when right presents itself - even if it's uncomfortable - be the sails.


On conflict: "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

One of my favorite Simone writings included a comment, "I play hard, but land soft..."   If you're going to jump - jump.  Don't half-ass your choices or your life.  If you bring out the stick - you'd better be ready to use it.  If you don't have to use the stick - don't use it.  But be prepared to back up your direction and destination. 

...

Y'all - I'm finding my known skin that I never knew.  It's pretty awesome.

Be you.  Just be your best, fearless, hopeful, joyful, appreciative self.

Be kind.  *sigh*   Be kind.

Much love from the Wildling in the North - (or your neighbor if you're in Montana).

§


No comments: