Sunday, October 8, 2017

Red Lips

There's a group of women who don't take photos.

And never - ever - would they wear red lipstick.

In fact, when I was first brave enough to wear red lipstick as a 30-something (I wore it a lot in high school) - another woman quipped at me, "I see you're wearing 'whore red' today."  

Yeup.  Didn't wear that color again.

Pffft.  Silly rabbits.

I was in the group that didn't take photos until Athena called me out on the fact that if I keeled over - my children would have close to zero photos of me.  Then I worked on some self-reflection... 
  • There's a reality that living my best me might be the best thing I can do
  • I can rock some red lips
  • Photos give me an opportunity to fit into my skin.  I like me.  I like opportunity.
  • Women, you go be your best self - that's all you have.  For that matter, support every woman who wants to be her best rockin' self.

I feel like I've shaken off the dust of doubt and found that right, real place again.

It's awesome.

It inspired red lips - just for morning coffee at a cafe - alone with a pen and my heart pouring out.









2 comments:

Unknown said...

Earlier, I showed this picture to Jerry and smiled. He smiled right back at me. You should definitely wear more red.

Unknown said...

People prefer to pull you down, rather than work to raise themselves. I, on the other hand, love you and I will lift you on my shoulders if you ask, so you can see the sunrise!

I have found that I cannot wear red lipstick anymore, not because of haters, but because my skin coloring has changed enough that most reds now clash with my freckles. I'm still looking for one though!