Friday, November 17, 2017

Survival Lessons. Living Now.

I'm reading "Survival Lessons" by Alice Hoffman - it's short - to the point and found me nodding, pondering, smiling and tearing up at different points in the book.

A few things resonated within me:

...

"It is difficult to measure a personal tragedy. How much bad fortune does it take to destroy a person? How much strength must someone possess in order to survive against the odds?"

"The older women all agreed upon the answer: They wished they had traveled the world. But more importantly, they wished they’d fallen in love more often. Don’t hold back! they told us. Live right now!"

"If you try and fail at some new endeavor, what difference does it make? None at all, unless you are jumping out of a plane. But when it comes to most skills, failure is the only way to become better at something. Knitting teaches you that. You may have to unwind all of your stitches and start anew. That doesn’t mean you’ve wasted your time. You learn from every stitch, even those that don’t amount to anything."

...

Typically I write an end of the year blog, and I was reflecting earlier this week what I would write about  -  new adventures, new people, old and new heartache, regrets and wonderings - plans for the future. 

In two days I head out on a mini-walk-about to spend the holiday with my friend Kim, her husband Nic and her youngest daughter Brodie.  I. am. so. excited.

It's seeing my friend - who I miss so much - and spending my favorite holiday with her.  It's going to new places - adventuring and holding my arms out wide for new experiences.  It's, sometimes, being scared out of my mind that I don't know what tomorrow brings but - I'll be damned - it's bringing it. 

I feel that opportunity for growth whispering in my ear again... not quite sure what it's saying yet ... but it's there - it's whispering - and I'm listening.

May you fail (not jumping out of a plane), may you succeed (and relish and roll in it), may your heart be lifted when it's heavy (swing low, sweet chariot) and may your lips rise to a smile and grin for no reason but the now.  Live in it.

Much love - the crazy, kooky, amazing kind.

§


No comments: