Sunday, March 25, 2018

Best Self. Politics. Family. Forward Motion.

My adventures seem to bring me to the best places...

... and sometimes it finds me in spots where I would never consider myself.

Early Saturday,  I was having lunch in one of my favorite spots, and a man found his way in my path.  I was attentive and conversational.

He has an MBA from California - years of travel that included South America, Australia and Europe - his stories were quite posh.  Nervous with me (why are people nervous with me) he was explaining his political view ... which I initially agreed with.

Then I ducked and dodged... 

We were commiserating about the current Administration. (I detest discussing politics.) He pointed out the dismal placement of our country and I attempted to address how 'blue-collar' folks are our foundation.  These men (and women) were the kings of industry. In fact, I believe, this country was founded upon a population who are tradesmen and architects without pedigree.  (Degree.)

He disagreed and pointed out that 'higher' education would 'fix' folks who were lacking in social/political knowledge.

My ears turned red.  I pursed my lips. 

This is why we find ourselves in this odd political arena. 

It's painful.  The more he voiced his ire and discontent -  the more I felt the need to mother-hawk his wrong thinking.  In fact, I brought up my youngest sibling (who I am crazy protective of) and his views that vastly differ from my own.  

I do not agree with my sibling's views.  He and I have this gladiator view of politics.  But mostly - he's my little brother and I will defend family long before politics (which I explained to this pompous individual). 

I am not blue collar. Or gold. Or entitled.  In fact, I don't have the pedigree for such thinking.  I'm a mutt.

Mostly - and in my mind, rightly - my path shows me that kindness paves beautiful opportunity.  Diversity has nothing to do with skin color.  It spans education and background.  Diversity is our differences recognized and celebrated.

And, damn it, ... there's an entire world founded upon hard labor and real work.

May we find ourselves back to this.

And - don't ever call out something that touches upon my family - I don't care who you are - I'll cut you down.

In my most lovely way... whatever that is...

§

No comments: