Monday, December 12, 2016

The Grace of Color

A few months into my Montana 2014 move I went to the optometrist.  A new patient, I had to fill out all of the paperwork - wait around the waiting room - browse the spectacles - you know, your ordinary visit to the optometrist.

A man in his late 40s and a young boy - maybe 8 - exited the exam room.

Got back to see the OD - and he seemed distracted - not anxious - not unprofessional - just... deep in thought.

Looked over my chart.  Looked into my eyes - shined the light - "look over my shoulder," he directed ... and then he handed me these cards.  There were 6 or so cards, and they were different colors, with circles that formed number combinations.

Like this:

I read off the numbers (in the case above, 74) and handed him back the cards and he looked at me and said, "I've been an optometrist for over 25 years  - that test you just completed I performed on a little boy that just left here.  He didn't read the numbers.  In fact, he asked me if I could give him glasses that would make him see color."

The little boy was colorblind.  He could see - but he couldn't see colors.

I distinctly recall walking outside and staring at the very blue sky of Montana and the white snow capped mountains which are a wondrous cornucopia of shades of grey, blue and purple.  I took a very deep breath and felt thankful for color.

Some days - weeks - I get wrapped up in "the solution" part of life that I forget to balance it with the blessings.  Today, I watched snow fall in the early dawn that sparkled like glitter - and tonight I looked around me and saw blankets of white wonder, people in bright coats with yellow shovels moving the heavy blankets aside - and for some reason - I was struck by the color of the shovel... and then remembered the little boy.

I live in the grace of moments that are recognized and unrecognized.  I live a life filled with vivid, bright color and need reminders that I should not take it for granted.  Just color.  Just yellow.

Just right.

It's cold in Montana.  There is snow e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. - and I love it.

May you recognize your own moments of grace.   May color be a reminder of the amazing (and often unrecognized) parts of your life.

Much love - (like so much your heart smiles...)

§


No comments: