Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Learning to Live in a Zero World

Tomorrow morning I will walk to work, just like I have since I moved to Montana.  Yet, tomorrow morning it will be zero degrees.  Zero.

This made me reflect on a few things that this Texas Transplant has learned living in this arctic paradise I now call home.




The closet by the front door is truly meant for coats, boots, and drawers filled with gloves, mittens, tuques, hats, and ear muffs.

Down vests did not go out of style with Marty McFly.  They are alive and well in Big Sky Country.  In fact, they're down-right toasty.











Radiators.  I questioned them, fiddled with the knobs, ... they are amazing.  Heats the house and warms mittens, tuques, and socks.

Warm socks are heavenly.

Really, really heavenly.








Boots - Good boots - are not alway the prettiest - but man, oh, man - no water, snow, or puddle will breach these babies.

And you can actually take out the felt liners to wash.

Wonderful.













Say it with me...

"YakTraks."

You read that right.  YakTraks.

All of you wonderful people fearful of a broken leg, ankle, arm, ... or any other part of my body (Diane, Athena, Kim, Bob... everyone...) ... These amazing things strap on to the bottom of my shoes - and ... well, I don't fall.

Where have these been all my life?







Homemade soups and stews have never tasted so good.

In fact, chicken and dumplings are officially my new favorite.














Texts from people I love!  

Especially texts keeping me plugged in to my local weather...

... and your local weather.

(Rebbeca is Rebecca - I'm just too tickled with it this way to change it...)












My daily glance of your weather.

And my weather.















But mostly what I've learned living in this frozen wonderland is this...




I am living my brand new adventure - it's beautiful and it makes me smile so often because I am joy-filled.  In awe of this windswept snow magic, the mountains, the people - so much to learn, to see, to do.  Best give it my honest effort and embrace it fully.

I miss you.  All of you.

Love - lots of it.

(Returning to my book and hot cider)

- Simone



No comments: