Friday, August 15, 2014

Fresh Flowers - A lesson in happiness.

Years back - but not that many years - I was blessed to work for a lovely school in Abilene, Texas.  St. John's Episcopal School taught me lessons in bravery, right and wrong, and introduced me to teachers and parents who branded their own light and love into my heart.  Forever blessed for such an amazing experience - I can only look back and smile.

One of my favorite memories was with our P.E. teacher, Rebekah - I'm reserving mentioning her last name - but she is one of those souls who you can't help but feel your cheeks rise when she's around.  She always made me smile.

One day, Rebekah came into my office and there were flowers on my desk.  At the time I was unmarried and she said... "Awwwww! Simone - who are the flowers from!?"

In my simple Simone-style, I responded:  "Me."    She grinned, pulling her head back to the side, "You got yourself flowers?"

"I sure did!"

I gave her my speech - something I will share with you today.

Flowers.  I love them.  I LOVE Flowers.  I love plants.  For years during my first marriage (yeah, yeah, I know) I would pine after those elusive flowers.  I wanted some.  Why wouldn't anyone buy me flowers?  How come they didn't know?   I love flowers.  They make my heart happy - why - oh why - didn't I get flowers.

::knock:: ::knock::  Hello, Captain Obvious.  You want flowers?  Buy them yourself.

(So here's the question for you fellow pining flower lovers - do you want flowers?  Or do you want attention? .... Things that make you go hmmmmmn....)

Somewhere in my thinking I realized, if you want flowers - well, get flowers!  Obvious.  Simple.

And yet, how this vexed me for years!!

Simple enough.  You see chocolate.  You want chocolate.  You buy chocolate.  You see a shirt you love.  You want this shirt you're loving.  You buy this shirt you're loving.  ... Flowers?  SAME THING!

Ever notice how fresh flowers or plants make you feel better?  Okay - maybe that's not true for everyone ... but it's true for a lot of us... Don't you love looking up at your desk, table, dresser, cabinet top - whatever - and seeing fresh lovely flowers?  It's healing.  It's living.  It's lovely.

So - I'm challenging you - my beautiful wonderful friends and readers -

Buy flowers.  For yourself.

Or - even better - don't wait for others to figure out what you need to be happy.  Make yourself happy.

Love and light - and happy Friday.  HAPPY FRIDAY!

- §

No comments: