Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Wiped Clean With (Lots) of Snow - Tabula Rasa

Sunday's morning walk with my trusty Dexter has me thinking.  And, well, those mental wanderings have found their way in and out of thoughts since that walk...

If my many posts and photos on the matter haven't made it abundantly clear - there is a lot of snow in Montana. In fact, the snow that fell on Christmas Eve is still here and - crazy enough - more snow has joined that holiday snow and it stuck around too.

This is a lot of snow for this Texas born and bred gal.  I am still completely enamoured by it - and if the grin on my face is any indication, I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon.

The really interesting thing I find on these walks are the tracks.  The people tracks - the dog tracks - the deer tracks - the tracks that I have no idea what they are, but there is indication that something - someone - some animal - has traveled in the direction I am going.

That's comforting.

With that - Saturday night Dexter and I went for a walk around the neighborhood - something he appreciates and I paid attention to the tracks that found their way crossing ours.  Dexter's running to-and-fro leaving lots of Dexter tracks for the next person to observe.

Sunday morning, we ended our longer walk on the same path that we were on Saturday - it was snowing again - and something dawned on me...

Our tracks were gone.

There was a clean slate on the pavement before us.

I actually stopped walking and turned to look behind us - and there were our tracks again.

What dawned on me then - what continues to marvel me today - is the grace that we're given to start anew.

Some days are just hard.  Sometimes those days add up to weeks, months or even longer of hard.  But truth be told, more often than we realize it, it snows again - and our tracks are wiped clean.

That's heady.

Many beliefs have this concept deeply rooted in their history - that our yesterdays are wiped clean for today's opportunity.

We forget that.  A lot.

We have our lists to do, our things never accomplished, our mistakes carried, pasts that are never unloaded - busy looking back and forth at the tracks.

I guess - simply - I marveled at a simple reminder that I get to make new tracks - even in places I've walked before.

My wish - for you - is that opportunity to start anew, even in known places.

Much love on Tuesday - and every other day for that matter.

- Simone


No comments: