Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Pie. Best Memories.

Tonight I caught up with a friend who spent YEARS experiencing the younger me - a young wife, a young mom, a young Simone.

Cathy and I experienced young motherhood and young marriage together.  Ups and downs, pregnancies, marriage - when my children's father and I separated I recall Cathy looking at me saying, "You were the couple who was going to make it through everything."  ... Oh, the truth to that for all aspects of life.

Our call tonight made my heart bubble over - memories - memories and joy...

We reflected on our parenting history, "how do you like 'them apples," and then....

Chocolate Pie.

We both laughed and she said, "Daniel always hated you for that."

I laughed harder.

Many moons ago - my house was the home where people gathered.  I was raised to be a hostess and always made dinner and desserts for folks who visited us every Sunday. My Nana would be so proud...

Friday night (a few decades ago) our group found ourselves bowling - snide comments were made about my inability to bowl and I said, "Kiss my ar@#$" ....

My brother-in-law, at the time, was cheeky and asked - "which coast do we start on?"

... Daniel, Chris and Roy laughed so hard... it was so funny....

Okay - alright -

Sunday, everyone was over for dinner and gaming activities - I made dinner, and dessert - not unusual - I served up individual plates - not unusual - individual desserts - they were pleased... folks this was not unusual.  I love cooking for people - they typically loved my cooking for them...

until this night...

We had a hotdog bar - all the trimmings - sides - and homemade individual chocolate cream pies.  I love making pies.  I love chocolate pies - but three of these pies... Chris, Daniel and Roy's.

Those pies - those pies were special.

Each had a full-box of chocolate ex-lax - melted and delicately balanced.   Right after they all enjoyed my cooking I tossed the box to the three guys and said, "hope you enjoy yourself as you're sitting on your coast..."

Tonight Cathy and I chuckled over my mischievous cooking habit - mostly we reminisced over past love lost and future possibility.

I am so proud of her.  I'm proud of the mother she is and the wife and mother that we both strived to be.

May your memories with old friends be blessed - and may my cooking habits (2 decades ago) be forgiven.

§

No comments: